There are key elements that are crucial in a friendship; both to give and receive. If you don't have them or get them from the other person, it will be a toxic situation. Finding these things in common with a person is a good reason to share either friendship necklaces or even best friend necklaces with them.
- Truth. One of the most important characteristics of a good friend is being honest. If you have someone come into your life who is constantly making things up or telling you things about them that are simply not true, this is not the person you can trust to be in your life. Also, if you see that they are telling other people lies, you can't be sure they won't lie to you as well, another reason for lack of trust. Do not give a liar a friendship necklace.
- Acceptance. It's important that the two of you take everything about each other into consideration and be able to accept all that there is about the other person without feeling a need to change them. If there are things you don't like or they don't like things about you, this is not the right friendship, or one deserving of a set of friendship necklaces. You have to be able to accept this person as they are fully.
- Independent. There needs to be boundaries between you - where you both are able to live your own lives outside of the friendship. No-one wants a high maintenance friendship. If you or they have a busy life, it should be okay if you go a period of time without seeing or even talking to each other without harming the friendship. This is a true friendship deserving of a friendship necklace.
- Judging. There should never be judgment between friends. Always build each other up and give the confidence and encouragement necessary to be able to face any crisis. Friendship necklaces help you remember this.
- Loyalty. You ought to be friends who will always be there for each other, whether the times are good or bad. Don't be the kind of friend who is only there when things are good or when there is something available for you. You don't want to be the one always with your hand out. That's a one-sided friendship and you'll soon find yourself with no friends (and no friendship necklaces to celebrate these friendships).
- Respect. Good friends will always value the friendship they share with each other. They form the opinions that they have about the other person on their own without any outside influences. Anything that they want to keep just between the two of them is honored as such, and they never have a nasty word to say about the other person. These friendships could include a group of people who have been friends for a long period of time, best friends. They would share friendship necklace charms, e.g. best friend necklaces for 2 or maybe best friend necklaces for 3 or there could even be as many as four best friend necklaces for 4 friends.
- Trust. Of course, trust is the most essential element of any friendship. If you can't trust each other with secrets or significant others or business or any kind of personal information, there is no friendship. This is not the kind of person that you want to have involved in your life (or give a friendship necklace to). If you're not trustworthy, you'll not be having any friends hanging around with you for very long either. Trust is a must-have for someone you want to gift a friendship necklace to.
Once you have developed all of these things with another person or a group of people, you have made yourself some good friends. You will come to be so important in each other's lives hopefully for a lifetime. The most special friendships are those that can endure even if you've not seen or spoken for years, but you pick up the phone and it's like you never missed a day. That's when you know you've picked the perfect people to be friends with and the perfect friends to share friendship necklaces with. How do we celebrate friends, though? We can give friendship necklaces, but when is appropriate?