Handcrafted, personalized name bracelets become cherished gifts for mothers, grandmothers
And more, especially when you make it yourself. With sterling silver alphabet
Beads and a few other key ingredients, you can create your own mother's bracelet,
deployment bracelet, awareness bracelet, or just about any other theme you can
imagine. Visit your local bead store or hobby shop or look online for the supplies
you will need. With these simple instructions, your creation will be a great gift
For Mother's Day or any other event.
Everything you need before you begin:
- Flat Beading Pliers (needle nose pliers will also work with care)
- Wire Cutters
- Stringing Wire (I prefer Beadalon Bead Stringing Wire, Nylon Coated Stainless
Steel, .46mm, Black)
- 2 (2) Wire Guardians (not required, but good for longevity of the bracelet)
- 2 (2) Crimp Beads
- Lobster Clasp or Toggle Clasp
- 4mm Jump Rings
- Alphabet Beads to spell out the title
- Other beads to match your theme, birthstone colour, etc.. Swarovski crystal beads
And small round silver beads are amazing additions.
- Quantify a bracelet you (or your gift recipient) already have to get the right
Size, or use a piece of string around the wrist to indicate and measure. Make sure
That it is a little loose. Cut a length of stringing wire that's the desired
Bracelet length and at least two " extra. (If you want a finished bracelet that
Is 8", you'll need to begin with a 10" piece of cable )
- The next task is to create a loop. String a crimp bead on the bit of cut wire.
Slide the cable through the cable guardian. Take the end of the cable as it comes
Out of the guardian and slip it though the crimp bead as well. Pull to tighten
So that the crimp bead is tight against the cable guardian, and you don't have
Excess wire hanging from the crimp bead. Use the beading pliers to squeeze the
crimp bead closed.
- Begin stringing your beads. Try alternating colors or using round spacer beads
In between the alphabet beads. It's also a good idea to plan out and put out exactly what
Beads you want to use before you begin. That way you'll know exactly how many
Beads you need to wind up with a symmetrical bracelet.
- Once you're happy with the design, place the second crimp bead after your last
Decorative bead (you need to have approximately 2" of cable left) and then slide
The second wire guardian on just like before. Carefully take up the slack, being
Sure not to pull on the cable too tight, so the bracelet can bend and move, but also
Not so loose that you see the cable between the beads. Now squeeze the crimp bead
Closed and then trim any excess cable away.
- Now you can attach the lobster clasp or toggle clasp to the right side of the
bracelet using jump rings. You can also attach a 1" extender chain on the left
side to allow the wearer to adjust the bracelet for comfort. (This is especially
A fantastic idea if you believe the bracelet may end up being too little.) Attach a
Charm or two to the extender chain with jump rings to include even more of a private
You're done! You've just made a name bracelet for your own mother, a mommy to be,
or even just for fun. All it takes are some alphabet beads, silver wire, colored
Beads, some patience and a few more supplies to produce a great Mother's Day gift.